In the wake of a solid win at Northern Illinois and Cal’s stunner over Texas, San Diego State is ranked No. 22 in the newest Associated Press poll. I do not have a joke to make about this, it’s just flippin’ cool.
The ranking assures that the program’s rank-less streak will not reach 21 years, which is a shame considering I was hoping to take the streak to RAGE OUT at True North on its birthday. As such, this is the Aztecs’ first time in the Top-25 since Nov. 7, 1995. That’s a long time!
We could have a long conversation about the significance of this. The implications on future recruiting. The positioning this gives us for future conference re-alignment. How remarkable it is that we’re seeing this come to fruition exactly one year after most of our fanbase wanted to run the head coach out of town.
Or, I can bang out a lazy listicle and enjoy the rest of my weekend. Which do you think I’ll choose??
Top 25 things that happened since the last time SDSU was ranked
- Aztecs football has had five head coaches.
- Rashaad Penny was born.
- Viejas Arena was built.
- Steve Fisher and Brian Dutcher looked like this:
- Every non-Tony-Gwynn-related thing in SDSU men’s basketball history occurred.
- Jack Murphy Stadium was expanded and became Qualcomm Stadium.
- Qualcomm Stadium was maintained/cleaned maybe once.
- The Mountain West Conference was created.
- The Mountain West Conference rose into a regional power.
- The Mountain West Conference decayed into a festering crap pile.
- Computers looked like this:
- The Macarena craze swept the nation to the delight of white aunts drunk on chardonnay at weddings.
- “Third Rock From the Sun” premiered, launching the meteoric rise of Hollywood icon French Stewart.
- “The Simpsons” had maybe four good seasons before devolving into a husk of its former self don’t @ me.
- Journalism died, leaving nothing but stupid online lists in its place.
- Tupac was alive (he still is, obviously).
- You looked like this probably:
- The Padres won four division titles and a pennant, before getting rid of the idiot manager responsible.
- The Chargers won zero Super Bowls and got zero new stadiums built.
- I went from a promising high schooler with a high SAT score to a graying unpaid blogger who writes nonsense like this.
- Oh god.
- What happened? Where did I go wrong?
- Is this the future I dreamed of? Is this all I’ll ever be professionally?