With the Chargers gone and Mission Valley up for grabs, it seems everybody is suddenly *keenly* interested in San Diego State’s football attendance. Trouble is, that number has always been kind of tough to pin down. The official count is a tickets-distributed figure, and that often doesn’t jibe with the butts in seats. THE HATERZ on the other hand have it on good authority that literally zero people have ever attended an Aztecs football game. We’re here to find the truth, people.
October 21, 2017: SDSU vs. Fresno State. The “Oil Can More Like Oil Can’t” Game. Read the hasty and extremely bitter recap.
- SDSU was still 6-1, receiving votes and had a glimmer of New Year’s Six hope that hadn’t yet been cruelly extinguished.
- Homecoming! The game where thousands upon thousands of students and alumni pack the STADIUM parking lot. A good 40 percent of them even manage to stumble into the game itself at some point, and don’t they feel silly for doing so.
- The Battle for the Old Oil Can is enough to get anyone gassed up (petroleum term).
- This game came immediately on the heels of the gut-punch Boise loss that sent the bandwagon careening into a fireworks factory.
- Many Fresno State could not make the trip because their beige 1988 Dodge Caravans needed new fan belts.
It was the fourth crowd in five games this season in excess of 40K. Not bad at all. Please do not think about what this crowd would have been had SDSU beaten the Broncos.
Evidence: Exhibit A
I took these photos during the second quarter. Note: My phone is utter crap.
Evidence: Exhibit B
These photos were crowd-sourced from our loyal Twitter followers.
Rating the official attendance figure on a scale of one to five fudge elves, with one being accurate and five being fudged to the point of demanding a public records request.
It was a good crowd, but 43K? Hmm … that’s the same size as the Stanford crowd, which had people sitting in View on both sidelines. Still, the student turnout was huge again and the lower bowl and loge/club were almost completely full. I might believe 40,000.
Now, you want to see some real crowd count fudgings? Wait until the last two home games, brother, because shit’s about to empty out for real.